1. A sectional. “Almost anything can be used in a man’s interior if some level of discernment is used,” says designer, Susan Ferrier. “That being said, there is no proper context for a kickback sectional with cup holders. It is the laziest piece of upholstery on earth.”
2. Oversized leather furniture. “It’s like they are trying to scream ‘I am a man!’“ says designer, MA Allen. “There are too many other beautiful masculine fabrics to include in a scheme. Think plaids and houndstooth.”
3. Fish tank. “Having the typical fish tank from the pet store down the street just doesn’t cut it,” says designer, Ryan White. “Guys, if you want ‘the fish tank moment’ think James Bond 007.”
4. Video games AND the beanbag chairs you play them in. We know, this one hurts, but hear us out. “There is no bigger sign of a slouch than a gaming station,” says Allen. However, if you MUST still have video games in the house, “Make sure you have appropriate seating,” says White. “Find two vintage club chairs rather then the old used beanbag.”
5. Any beer or drinking paraphernalia. “Your vices are not art,” says designer, Jon Call.
6. Heavy-looking bedroom furniture. Especially bought as a set. “[It] gives the impression that one does not know how to make decisions and lacks general style,” says Allen. “Anyone can buy a matching set, but interesting men are able to piece together different pieces to create a beautiful and eclectic overall look.”
7. Pictures of parents in the bedroom. “It’s just not sexy,” says designer Vance Burke.
8. Cheap bedding and mismatched sheets. Really no one should have this in his or her home after a certain age. “[It] shows sophistication when you have nice bedding,” says designer, Nicole Fuller. And, “Having nice quality sheeting will leave a good impression,” adds Allen.
9. Dishes in the sink. “If you have a problem staying clean, it’s time to hire someone,” explains Call.
10. Weeks old piles of laundry. “And NO, your mother is not allowed to still be doing your laundry.”